jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Tako Schotanus" <quinte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Achieving DRAFT published to LIVE concepts - separate workspaces?
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2007 21:06:15 GMT
On 7/10/07, David Nuescheler <david.nuescheler@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Tako,

> > Just wondering, I never thought about workspaces much so I have no
> > good idea how to use them and was in fact planning on implementing a
> > "workflow" mixin that would add a "state" attribute because that's how
> > we implemented it in our old system, but this thread has made me
> > realize that you would be searching in the version history which was
> > cheap in our system but might not be for a JCR.
> I still think that the mixin is a reasonable plan.
> Can you explain how this would be related to searching
> the version history?

I'm not sure, I think I need to read up on workspaces again because
think I'm confused about how they work :-)

So far I had no use for them but maybe I'm trying to project too much
of our old architecture onto the new system.

In our old system documents could be "active" in several "versions".
Meaning that changing the state of the document would result in a new
"version" of that document (or in this case only its meta-data) which
could be referred to separately.

A document could easily be in several "active" states ("active" in
this case means that people are still actively working on or with the
document): the current version is published on the web for example
while a newer version is being reviewed by QA and at the same time
Marketing is already drafting a new version.

Because getting an older version was just as cheap as getting the
latest the work flow system could easily be constructed on top of the
versioning.

And because querying meta-data was fast the whole problem of
who-can-see-what was reduced to dynamically adding some ownership and
work flow state filters to the queries (different for each user/role).

Not sure if this all makes sense, but if  understand correctly this is
not how it should be done with a JCR. :-)

Cheers,
 -Tako