jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Tako Schotanus" <quinte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Achieving DRAFT published to LIVE concepts - separate workspaces?
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2007 13:49:27 GMT
On 7/10/07, David Nuescheler <david.nuescheler@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Shaun,
>
> I think this is a very good use of workspaces.
>
> > Option 1: Use a separate DRAFT and LIVE workspace, and use event listeners
> > or scheduled process to 'publish' or 'unpublish' pages into the LIVE
> > workspace.
> > But, the usage of references means that publishing or unpublishing can break
> > referential integrity if 'dependent' items are not published/unpublished at
> > the same time.
> Web Content Management is just about my favorite domain ;)
>
> I think "Option 1" is the right way of doing it, which is what we use in
> our product.

Is this something that could generically be expanded to more elaborate
workflows? Would you make a workspace for each state the document can
be in for example? Well probably only those where you actually need to
access the data I imagine, no need to get the contents for documents
that are in "Waiting for review" for example.

Just wondering, I never thought about workspaces much so I have no
good idea how to use them and was in fact planning on implementing a
"workflow" mixin that would add a "state" attribute because that's how
we implemented it in our old system, but this thread has made me
realize that you would be searching in the version history which was
cheap in our system but might not be for a JCR.

An article on how to do workflows in a JCR would be nice too :-)

Cheers,
 -Tako