jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Tako Schotanus" <quinte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DM Rule #4: Beware of Same Name Siblings.
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2007 13:17:20 GMT
> Hi,
snip

> It's really a balancing act between the stability of the paths and how
> much you can imply from the fact that a node resides for example
> within /basel/barfuesserplatz-6. My node might well be placed in that
> tree (for non-Day people, I work remotely as a part of the Day R&D
> team who's mainly based in Basel) for organizational reasons even
> though my actual address would place me in /espoo/paivankajontie-4.

True, but there is nothing inherently incorrect with that information.
>From the point of view of the organization you're part of the basel
office while your actual location is somewhere else. Both of these
fact might be somehow incorporated in the nodes, properties or the
naming of the hierarchy. But it's another thing to have stale
information in the repository.

For me it's simple, you either use meaningful path names because
humans will actually use them or people will always point and click
and in that case you could have whatever name you want. I recognize
that there might be applications where it doesn't matter if the
"meaningful path" is stale, but I guess that in lots if not most
applications this would be a big nuisance.

In the end it all depends on your application and after reading this
thread it's obvious that there is no one system that is best for all
situations. So if this is to turn into an article for the wiki I think
it would be best to give some examples for each of the use-cases and
explain the pros and cons of each one (explaining the big downside of
SNS is most important though IMHO).