jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Tako Schotanus" <quinte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DM Rule #4: Beware of Same Name Siblings.
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2007 08:40:57 GMT
> Hi,
>
> On 7/10/07, Tako Schotanus <quintesse@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I understand the recommendation, I just would like to add that
> > sometimes finding a good identifier is pretty difficult. The example
> > of using a person's email address is just not stable enough, there are
> > lots of people who are changing email addresses continuously and many
> > of the addresses don't contain any clue as to the person they belong
> > to.
>
> Note that names don't really need to be globally unique or stable. A
> name doesn't even need to reflect any specific attribute (real name,
> etc.) of the node.

I understand, they only need to be unique to their parent, but they
don't need to be stable? Then how are you going to reference them if,
like rule #5 says "references are considered harmful"? If you keep
changing them you need to keep updating all your references?

> > And since the 1.5 years that I live in Spain now I'm still amazed at
> > the number of people that have EXACTLY the same name! Even taking into
> > account that they have 2 last names (from both parents) and normally
> > several first names as well! (Probably due to the fact that it was
> > customary to name children after grandparents)
>
> This is where the recommendation to avoid huge flat collections comes
> to help. A repository that models the population of Spain could (and
> should!) use some hierarchy.
>
> A geographic hierarchy would divide people based on the area, city,
> street, block, etc. where they live in.

People move all the time.

But maybe I see this stability thing as something more important than
it really is, you I'll wait what your response to the above is :-)

Cheers,
-Tako