jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Tako Schotanus" <quinte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DM Rule #4: Beware of Same Name Siblings.
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2007 08:09:44 GMT
I understand the recommendation, I just would like to add that
sometimes finding a good identifier is pretty difficult. The example
of using a person's email address is just not stable enough, there are
lots of people who are changing email addresses continuously and many
of the addresses don't contain any clue as to the person they belong

And since the 1.5 years that I live in Spain now I'm still amazed at
the number of people that have EXACTLY the same name! Even taking into
account that they have 2 last names (from both parents) and normally
several first names as well! (Probably due to the fact that it was
customary to name children after grandparents)

Of course it would still be possible to use names and some algorithm
to ensure uniqueness in some way and I understand that from the
perspective of path name stability this is preferred.

> Hi,
> On 7/10/07, David Nuescheler <david.nuescheler@gmail.com> wrote:
> > ..and really, i cannot see a drawback for naming
> > nodes in a meaningful way. ;)
> There is always an inherent cost in naming things especially in design
> time, but as discussed the benefit of naming really outweights this
> cost in most, if not all, cases. So, very much agreed.
> In fact I would rather phrase the rule as a pattern like "Use locally
> unique names" instead of using an antipattern. Also, the emphasis on
> proper naming nicely resonates with the recommendation to avoid
> identifiers.
> BR,
> Jukka Zitting

View raw message