jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Thomas Mueller" <thomas.tom.muel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Isolation level inconsistency.
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2007 18:39:56 GMT
Hi Julian,

> so far I haven't seen a proposal how the desired semantics (query
> operating on the transient state) can be implemented efficiently at all,

As far as I know, old Hibernate and JPA works like this (except
objects that are not persisted, and detached objects; both cases are
not relevant for JCR). So it can be implemented. I would even say if
somebody wants to implement JCR using an JPA, it would be easier that
way.

> ... without closely coupling the transient space implementation to the
> storage.

Is there a rule in the spec that says the transient space must be
decoupled (except, the rule we are talking about)?

> I just don't see how to implement that.

It goes like this: there is a hash set of changed nodes (when the app
calls setProperty the JCR implementation adds the node to this set).
When the application runs a query, the engine would store the changed
nodes but don't commit (that is, when using a database backend and the
same engine for querying). That's it.

> For the record, I'm fine with *allowing* repositories to implement that
> (but not making it required).

I fully agree. For some implementations it is easy, for some very hard.

Thomas