jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Thomas Mueller" <thomas.tom.muel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 7.4 Appendix D: JCR 1.0 XPath (Deprecated)
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2007 16:13:59 GMT
Hi,

I don't know too much about XQuery, and nothing about the decisions in
the JSR 283 group, but I have a few questions:

> the entire industry moving towards XML data interoperability ...

Could you explain this a bit more?

> JCR data model is a native fit to XQuery language that is more
> powerful and better defined than AQM may ever become.

Do you suggest that all JCR implementations need to implement the full
XQuery language? If not, what subset would you suggest?

> But I strongly believe that AQM is a bad choice.

Why do you think so?

> The right approach would be to pick existing query language

What is your experience using XQuery? What products do you use?

> deprecating XPath is an obvious mistake!

Why?

> From system architect point of view I can say that if JCR will drop XPath
> support there are no advantages to use JCR for our projects, we will move to XML
> database that will provide the same functionality plus native XPath and XQuery
> support out of the box.

Which XML databases do you think about?

> By making such changes you open an option for JCR to utilize XML database
> persistent storage option that will improve JCR performance dramatically, since
> most of the XML databases have XQuery optimization algorithms.

Why would using XQuery be better than using AQM?

Thanks,
Thomas