jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JCR Drawback Thoughts
Date Sat, 28 Jul 2007 06:15:38 GMT
Hi,

On 7/28/07, Phillip Rhodes <spamsucks@rhoderunner.com> wrote:
> Much of my application consists of 1) Search 2) display search results 3) view search
> result. If I perform a search, and I get a hit on a PDF document, I do not need to load
> the pdf byte array (jcr:data) into the node in order to display my search results.

Are you storing the binary values in the database? In that case
Jackrabbit unfortunately always makes a temporary copy of the value
when the node containing it is accessed. You can avoid that by having
the binary values stored on the file system in the first place.

The problem with temporary copies should be completely solved by
Jackrabbit 1.4, when we get the data store feature that is currently
being developed. Then only references to large binary values are
handled in normal operations, and the binary stream is only accessed
if explicitly requested by the client.

BR,

Jukka Zitting