jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Saving of nodes takes too long/Indexing configuration
Date Sun, 15 Jul 2007 10:08:30 GMT
Hi,

On 7/14/07, Sridhar Raman <sridhar.raman@gmail.com> wrote:
> I use Jackrabbit extensively, and one problem that I seem to run into a lot
> of times is when I import data, and save the nodes.  For saving 4000 nodes,
> it almost takes 32 mins to execute the session.save() command.  Any way of
> fixing this?
>
> Is it probably because all my data is getting indexed?  Could I somehow
> specify only specific properties/types to be indexed?

I much more suspect that the time is spent talking to the persistence
store. Are you using an external database for persistence?

The traditional database persistence managers issue a separate SQL
statement (causing a network roundtrip to the database) for each node
*and* property being saved, which can quickly end up taking a lot of
time especially if the network roundtrip to a database server takes
more than a few milliseconds.

Good solutions to this problem are either to switch to the bundle
persistence (which uses just a single statement for a node and all
it's properties) included in Jackrabbit 1.3 and/or using an embedded
database like the default Derby.

BR,

Jukka Zitting