jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DM Rule #4: Beware of Same Name Siblings.
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2007 10:48:18 GMT
Hi,

On 7/10/07, David Nuescheler <david.nuescheler@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think people are placing all too much emphasis on the semantic
> > meaning of the path.
> I believe that's up to the application to decide.

Sure. My point is that treating individual path elements as properties
of the target node (as might be implied from
country/city/lastname/firstname, etc.) is bad practice. The node
itself should IMHO contain all relevant information even if it's named
"/foo[2385]".

Using some properties as the basis of selecting a node name and
deciding where the node should be placed is an excellent idea, but I'm
not so sure if it makes sense to enforce that these properties will
always be used as the path of the node.

It's really a balancing act between the stability of the paths and how
much you can imply from the fact that a node resides for example
within /basel/barfuesserplatz-6. My node might well be placed in that
tree (for non-Day people, I work remotely as a part of the Day R&D
team who's mainly based in Basel) for organizational reasons even
though my actual address would place me in /espoo/paivankajontie-4.

BR,

Jukka Zitting