jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DM Rule #7: ID's are evil.
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2007 08:46:09 GMT
Hi,

On 7/7/07, sbarriba <sbarriba@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> We had one requirement that prompted us to introduce an instance of a
> numeric 'id' field that is managed using the Sequence node solution. Our
> requirement was for a unique id that referenced a particular class of nodes.
> This id was to be used as a HTTP parameter. UUIDs are too large and unwieldy
> for our application. Furthermore we wanted to control the format and UUIDs
> may change format in the future.

It really sounds like you have some heavy external constraints that
you need to satisfy. What external system needs this "id" field and
why the format needs to be controlled?

If you just need something to identify a node in a HTTP parameter,
then I'd much rather use just the path of the node.

BR,

Jukka Zitting