jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DM Rule #4: Beware of Same Name Siblings.
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2007 08:36:02 GMT
Hi,

On 7/10/07, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:
> Still (and I'm being slightly paranoid here, for the purpose of
> discussion), some of these meaningful path elements might change at
> some point.

I don't really see this as a problem.

> mark@gmail might get a new email...what happens? Worst case, his old
> email is made available after some time, and someone else grabs it
> (remember, I'm in paranoid mode ;-)

We can just rename the node, or if we don't care we can leave it as
is. In any case I think it makes sense *not* to use the node name as
the email address in an aplication. It's much better to put such
semantic information in a property and keep the name as just a local
identifier.

> "Nelly Furtado" usually stays forever...though she might get married
> and change her name (not to mention the Wendy/Walter Carlos case
> [1]...or The Artist Formerly Known As Prince).
>
> New records will be released under her new name, but somehow a
> connection must be made to the old name, which would be easier with an
> abstract identifier.

Again, in this model each record should probably have a string
property that contains the name of the artist.

> What I'm getting at: meaningful paths are great, but when using them
> one must be prepared to handle edge cases where meaningful path
> elements change in the world that you're modeling.

I guess we need to make a difference between meaningful paths in the
sense of "locally unique and readable" and the sense of "semantically
valid" where someone would want to use the name itself as a specific
attribute like name or email address. I much prefer treating names in
the former sense.

BR,

Jukka Zitting