jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DM Rule #4: Beware of Same Name Siblings.
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2007 08:25:39 GMT
Hi,

On 7/10/07, Tako Schotanus <quintesse@gmail.com> wrote:
> I understand the recommendation, I just would like to add that
> sometimes finding a good identifier is pretty difficult. The example
> of using a person's email address is just not stable enough, there are
> lots of people who are changing email addresses continuously and many
> of the addresses don't contain any clue as to the person they belong
> to.

Note that names don't really need to be globally unique or stable. A
name doesn't even need to reflect any specific attribute (real name,
etc.) of the node.

> And since the 1.5 years that I live in Spain now I'm still amazed at
> the number of people that have EXACTLY the same name! Even taking into
> account that they have 2 last names (from both parents) and normally
> several first names as well! (Probably due to the fact that it was
> customary to name children after grandparents)

This is where the recommendation to avoid huge flat collections comes
to help. A repository that models the population of Spain could (and
should!) use some hierarchy.

A geographic hierarchy would divide people based on the area, city,
street, block, etc. where they live in.

A geneologic hierarchy could use either maternal or paternal lines and
have the repository hierarchy reflect the actual parent/child
relations in real world.

BR,

Jukka Zitting