jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From IvanLatysh <i...@yourmail.com>
Subject Re: 3.1.3.1 Removing Items
Date Tue, 24 Jul 2007 17:42:29 GMT
Tako Schotanus wrote:

>> > Yes.  Make the date field an optional property.  If the property
>> exists,
>> > then the field is present.  If not, then the field is absent.
>> Excellent, but how would user fill-up this `absent` field when we decide
>> to?

Just before I answer on this one I want to mention that we are dealing with
unstructured data manager where structure is a part of the data.

> First of all you showed the original form in _some_ way so you could store
> that information with the user data.
That what we have to do in order to overcome JCR shortcoming with null's.

> Or you could store a list of all the field names, or just the ones that
> were left empty.
>
> You could store the fields in a user node type, that has a "value" sub
> node,
> not only could your application decide that a non-existing "value" node is
> the same as "null", but you could add a whole bunch of extra information if
> necessary (maybe the field was not editable but had a default value so you
> want to remember that the value was not entered by the user).
>
> You could probably find lots more ways to model this.
Yes I can and also I can use regular RDBMS or XMLDB to solve this problem.

But discussion is not about a workaround but about an JCR behavior regarding
Java null type.

--
Ivan Latysh
ivan@yourmail.com