jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From IvanLatysh <i...@yourmail.com>
Subject Re: 3.1.3.1 Removing Items
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2007 20:24:40 GMT
Marcel Reutegger wrote:
> IvanLatysh wrote:
>> And a call:
>> setAge((Integer)null) - where I pass null reference as Integer.
>
> this is not correct. just because you can cast null to any reference
> type does not mean that the type of your so called 'null value' is an
> Integer.
Yes it is, and it is so per spec.

> The cast is only there to indicate the compiler which method to
> chose if it is overloaded. e.g. you might have setAge(Double age) and
> setAge(Integer age). if there's just the latter signature the cast is
> redundant and unnecessary.
[Java Language Specification : Third Edition : 5.5 Casting Conversion]
Casting conversion is applied to the operand of a cast operator (ยง15.16): the
type of the operand expression must be converted to the type explicitly named by
the cast operator.
[/Java Language Specification : Third Edition : 5.5 Casting Conversion]

P.S. I been sent to read Java spec, and I don't mind to refresh my knowledge.
But I can see that it is not me, who should read the Java Language spec.

--
Ivan Latysh
ivan@yourmail.com