jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From IvanLatysh <i...@yourmail.com>
Subject Re: 3.1.3.1 Removing Items
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2007 19:56:03 GMT
Marcel Reutegger wrote:

>>> You can use a non-mandatory or a multi-valued property if you need to
>>> handle cases where a property can be absent, or present but with no
>>> values.
>> The problem is that JCR is type strict so Integer property can't have
>> the null value, so I have to make String property instead and when I
>> produce XML for UI property has the wrong type. And if property
>> deleted in JCR I can't produce the valid XML because I don't know that
>> this property was there at the first place.
>
> Ivan, it seems you didn't really read what Jukka explained.
You are right! Jukka, I am sorry.

> I'll try it again:
>
> 1) using the node type definition of a node you can find out if the node
> has a property declared which is not set, thus you can infer that the
> value is in your sense 'null'. if of course requires that you create a
> custom node type and declare your properties.
>
> 2) you can use a multi-valued property where you set the value to an
> empty array. again, this allows you to interpret the value as 'null'.
> see jsr 170 specification 4.7.1

It is true if I know data structure, but we are working on the system that
manage unstructured data. I have no knowledge of what kind of data will be
stored in the repository. This make very important for us to preserve any
property even it has null value. Otherwise we are loosing the data.

--
Ivan Latysh
ivan@yourmail.com