jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Julian Reschke <julian.resc...@gmx.de>
Subject Backwards compatibility, Re: 3.1.3.1 Removing Items
Date Fri, 20 Jul 2007 18:22:07 GMT
Alexandru Popescu ? wrote:
> Now about the compatibility issue: considering that 2.0 is suggesting
> the removal of XPath we cannot talk about backward compatibility
> anymore. One more change at the API level and one that will make
> things clearer is the smart decission (remember we are not talking
> about a 1.1 spec, but about 2.0 which is already suggesting
> non-backward compatible changes).

Backwards compatibility was a goal for JSR-283.

Making XPath optional breaks that in a big way, and I personally hope
that public review will show that people do not like that.

So, instead of opening pandora's box even wider, let's try to close it :-).

Because, *if* backwards compatibility stops being a concern, I have
*lots* of things I'd like to get rid of, such as same-name siblings,
certain naming restrictions, addressing, namespace remapping...

Best regards, Julian