jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Julian Reschke <julian.resc...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: 3.1.3.1 Removing Items
Date Fri, 20 Jul 2007 07:49:25 GMT
Alexandru Popescu ? wrote:
> I don't think I agree on this. As you said: null and empty strings are
> distinct values. Another distinct case is: innexistance, which is not

Yes.

> synonymous with null or empty. Atm you cannot store a null value

Well, in the JCR property model "null" and non-existance are the same.
As far as I can tell, the same applies to WebDAV properties, RDF and the
XPath data model.

I think it is a *feature* that these data models are compatible.

BTW: what would be a use case for the ability to differentiate between
"null" and "not there"?

> inside JCR -- and for solving this one must usually create a null-like
> value.
>
> The OP is suggesting that this is a spec issue and storing null values
> should be allowed. But doing so results in API behavioral changes,
> because currently property.setValue(null) is equivalent to remove.

Correct.

Best regards, Julian