jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From IvanLatysh <i...@yourmail.com>
Subject Re: Isolation level inconsistency.
Date Fri, 20 Jul 2007 03:19:15 GMT
Jukka Zitting wrote:

> On 7/20/07, IvanLatysh <ivan@yourmail.com> wrote:
>> It is an outrageous bug in the spec, that has to be fixed [...]
>
> I do appreciate your opinions and the fact that you are raising
> issues, but the way you are presenting them is borderline trolling.
> There are valid reasons for the design decisions taken by the JCR
> spec, and while you are free to disagree and debate the rationale,
> calling them "outrageous bugs" is IMHO rather extreme.
Yes it is, I absolutely agree with you that this expression is extreme, and it
serve it's purpose.

Can anybody find a real-life use-case where query run against persistent state
but fetched object has transient state ?

>> If your DB session would have such behavior would you be happy ?
>
> Note that there's a crucial difference between JCR and DB sessions. In
> relational databases search (i.e. SELECT) is the one and only way to
> access content, whereas a content repository supports both direct API
> access and search as ways to access content.
Personally I do not see the difference in accessing the date between
SQL QUERY/SP/VIEW and JCR QUERY/XPATH/API
But it doesn't even matter, let's take a Hibernate (ORM) for instance.
It has 2 ways of retrieving the data SQL and API. And Hibernate query always
return transient state of the object.

> This difference, and the
> fact there are virtually no use cases where you'd want to search for
> transient changes,
Today I saw a message from Mark Waschkowski with a good use case.

> coupled with the architectural goal of keeping
> transient changes fully local (i.e. not involved in full text index
> updates, etc.) makes IMHO a pretty good rationale for the way search
> is specified in JCR.

B.t.w. there are no need to do the full index update, search result always
post-processed to account for the transient state, that how it usually done.

P.S. Thank you for getting into the discussion.

--
Ivan Latysh
ivan@yourmail.com