jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Julian Reschke <julian.resc...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: 3.1.3.1 Removing Items
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2007 15:30:33 GMT
IvanLatysh wrote:
>    2) XML element or attribute will not be removed when it's value set
> to null
>       Consider following XML snippets:
>        <xsd:element name="shipDate" type="xsd:date" nillable="true"/>
>        1) <ship-date calendar="gregorian">2007-01-01</ship-date>
>        2) <ship-date calendar=""/>
>
>        element or attribute will not be removed just because it's value
> is null.

I strongly disagree. Being absent, and having an empty string value are
completely different things. Font instance, you can't have a "null"
attribute value in XML.

>   Deleting the property or node and setting the value is a two different
> use-cases.

That's true, but the JCR behavior seems harmless to me. The only
alternative that would make sense would be to reject (by throwing an
exception) those requests,

>   Also JCR API is not consistent in this matter, when consistency is
> most important part of any spec.
>
>   Here is inconsistence that I refer to:
>   1) to delete the Node we call: myNode.remove();
>   2) to delete the Property we call: p.setValue((Value)null);
>
>   In the second case I expect to see: p.remove();

You can do that as well, can't you?

>   * Setting property to NULL will set property value to NULL without any
> side effects, such as removing a property.

That would be a major change in the data model. No way.

>   * To remove a property we call: p.remove();

Item.remove() is already in JCR 1.0.

Best regards, Julian