jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Julian Reschke <julian.resc...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: 7.4 Appendix D: JCR 1.0 XPath (Deprecated)
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2007 14:56:26 GMT
IvanLatysh wrote:
> I would propose something like that:
>
> Level 1: Read only repository, XPath 1.0, AQM, JQOM
> Level 2: Read-write repository, XPath 1.0, AQM, JQOM
> Level 3: Read-write repository, basic XQuery, XPath 2.0, AQM, JQOM
> Level 4: Read-write repository, XQuery 1.0, XPath 2.0, AQM, JQOM

You can defines as many new query grammars as you want without the need
for new compliance levels.

Anyway... What the spec says today is a compromise between lots of
diverging goals:

- some people prefer SQL (for whatever reason :-)
- some XPath + extensions
- some XQuery
- everybody wants to keep the spec implementable
- there shouldn't be too many ways to do the same thing
- the optimal number of optional features in a spec is zero
- being backwards compatible with JCR 1.0

Maybe this explains a bit how we got where we are.

Best regards, Julian