jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "David Nuescheler" <da...@day.com>
Subject Re: DM Rule #3: Workspaces are for corresponding nodes.
Date Fri, 27 Jul 2007 12:42:24 GMT
Hi Darren,

thanks for your question.

> I have a question (based on ignorance) of Workspaces.  When you say they are
> a boundary for references and query, is the intent that you can not
> cross-query multiple workspaces?
Yes, this is the case.

> My original thought for one scenario is for Records Management, and having a
> workspace on a per-year basis (making it easy for repository backup).  But,
> still need to support query across all years/workspace.
> Is this a valid scenario for utilizing workspaces?
I think your operational reasoning (re: back-up or performance) may
still be valid,
but from a content modeling standpoint the per year workspace does not seem
to a valid usecase.

I think for better understanding I could maybe simplify the rule to
something like:

"If you use Node.clone() Node.merge() and Node.update() then you
have a usecase for workspaces... otherwise you don't"

Does that make sense?

I think operational or performance considerations can certainly
influence your content model but I think it is important to understand
that a lot of those operational and performance characteristics are
implementation specific and may apply to Jackrabbit but not to
other JCR implementation.

regards,
david