jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Patrick Haggood <codezi...@email.com>
Subject Re: DM Rule #1: Data First, Structure Later. Maybe.
Date Sat, 07 Jul 2007 20:25:57 GMT
On Sat, 2007-07-07 at 13:01 +0200, David Nuescheler wrote:

> My bottom-line: Structure is expensive and in many cases it is
> entirely unnecessary to explicitly declare structure to the underlying
> storage.
I'm finding this to be true as I use Jackrabbit more; however...

> There is an implicit contract about structure that your application
> inherently uses. Let's say I store the modification date of a blog
> post in a "lastModified" property. My App will automatically know to
> read the modification date from that same property again, there is
> really no neod to declare that explicitly.

But I thought the goal of a "generalized" CMS solution, like JSR170, was
to enable 3rd-party apps the ability, after viewing/looking up/receivig
some meta-data, the ability to read the store itself w/o having
source-code access to the business rules in your app.  Storing specific
types is supposed to be the way that 3rd party apps make sure they're
using the nodes in your store correctly, if I'm understanding the
generalization goals of JSR170 at all.