jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "sbarriba" <sbarr...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject RE: Hot backup solutions?
Date Mon, 09 Jul 2007 10:02:47 GMT
Hi Thomas et al,
Has anyone considered writing an schedulable process (e.g. using Spring)
which iterates through all workspaces performing an exportsysview() on each
workspace generating an XML file backup?

Anyone come up with negatives for doing?

Negatives I can think of include:
 * the backup would be expensive for large workspaces with big binaries etc
 * exportsysview() does not include version data (I haven't tested this
assertion). We're not using versioning currently (due to bugs hit with older
JackRabbit versions) but we certainly want to in the future.

Regards,
Shaun.

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Mueller [mailto:thomas.tom.mueller@gmail.com]
Sent: 09 July 2007 09:46
To: users@jackrabbit.apache.org
Subject: Re: Hot backup solutions?

Hi,

> a particular workspace was corrupted
> or we wished to migrate a workspace between environments etc.

Sure, I understand that. I think a 'persistent manager independent'
export / hot backup tool would be great. Using a standardized 'JCR
implementation independent' format if possible ;-)

> But what I don't know is what workspace specific state exists in
> 3) [reposhome]/repository

No (except NodeTypes, but you already said that you can can backup
the NodeTypes and Repository config separately). There is rootUUID,
but it doesn't really change.

> and 4) [reposhome]/version.

Yes, versioning is shared across workspaces. If you use versioning,
you need to back it up. However I am not sure how you could restore
the version history of just one workspace.

Thomas