jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "sbarriba" <sbarr...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject RE: DM Rule #4: Beware of Same Name Siblings.
Date Sat, 07 Jul 2007 14:55:09 GMT
Hi David et al,
Interesting comment on SNS.

Our model includes various SNS and while 'yes' I agree that [1],[2] etc
aspect can cause problems how else would you model anonymous composition
where Object A contains multiple instances of Object B, where Object B has
no unique & distinguishing concept of a name.

For example,

[acme:Car]
 acme:seats multiple acme:Seat

What would be your preferred way to model the above in a green field model?

Regards,
Shaun

-----Original Message-----
From: David Nuescheler [mailto:david.nuescheler@gmail.com]
Sent: 07 July 2007 12:17
To: users@jackrabbit.apache.org
Subject: DM Rule #4: Beware of Same Name Siblings.

Explanation
---
While Same Name Siblings (SNS) have been introduced into the spec to
allow compatibility with data structures that are designed for and
expressed through XML and therefore are extremely valuable to JCR, SNS
come with a substantial overhead and complexity for the repository.

Any path into the content repository that contains an SNS in one of
its path segments becomes much less stable, if an SNS is removed or
reordered, it has an impact on the paths of all the other SNS and
their children.

For import of XML or interaction with existing XML SNS maybe necessary
and useful but I have never used SNS, and never will in my "green
field" data models.

Example:
---
Use

/content/myblog/posts/what_i_learned_today
/content/myblog/posts/iphone_shipping

instead of

/content/blog[1]/post[1]
/content/blog[1]/post[2]