jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Christoph Kiehl <christ...@sulu3000.de>
Subject Re: Content Categorization in Jackrabbit?
Date Sun, 10 Jun 2007 11:01:46 GMT
Jukka Zitting wrote:

> 2) Use referenceable category nodes and have the categorized content
> nodes reference the category nodes. This approach is similar to the
> one above, but allows you to better control the available categories
> and to express category metadata and hierarchies.
>
>    [my:category] > mix:referenceable
>
>    [my:type]
>    - my:categories (REFERENCE) multiple < my:category

We actually use this solution. But there is one caveat: if you have got more
than 2000 nodes that reference the _same_ category you should use STRING instead
of REFERENCE properties to store the reference. This sounds bad on the first
sight because you loose referential integrity but with Jackrabbits current
implementation you will run into performance problems because the references are
stored in the categories item state which makes adding new references a costly
operation.

Cheers,
Chris