jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Frédéric Esnault <f...@legisway.com>
Subject checkForReferencesInContent implementation
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2007 08:40:33 GMT

For my company's project, we're currently thinking about implementing the checkForReferencesInContent
 method (along with the other one, checkForConflictingContent).

I saw the comment in Jira from Sandro Boehme <https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=sandro>
  (available there : https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-322?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#action_12462752
).

Actually this is the kind of implementation we're thinking about, as anyway you must be sure
that any reference to the node type you want to unregister (for example) is not used anywhere,
including in the running transactions and sessions. We plan to lock repository, wait for all
transactions to be committed (or rollbacked...) and sessions to be saved, before we check
for references.

A comment made by Stefan Guggisberg <https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=stefan%40jira>
 was it would cause an inacceptable performance degradation. I agree on the fact that waiting
for tx and session end would definitely be potentially a pain in the ..., but the operation
of unregistering a node type is (at least for us) actually a quite critical operation, not
occurring every day, and made on purpose. Performance in this case is not the principal goal.
IMO, the goal here is the consistency of the repository. We will think our implementation
this way, but I'd like to know what the community's opinion about this strategy.

Frederic E