jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Jackrabbit performance issue
Date Sat, 09 Jun 2007 08:22:51 GMT
Hi,

On 6/6/07, Bruce Li <bli@tirawireless.com> wrote:
> I am using Jackrabbit v1.3 and I got the performance issue.
>
> The problem is when I visit object notes (for example, "Company"), it
> costs more than 25 second to visit all "Company" notes.

Could you share an example of the code you are using to access the
company nodes?

Some common performance pitfalls that could affect your setup are:

1) Database latency. Check that the network latency between the
Jackrabbit and the backend database is small. Jackrabbit typically
makes a number of database calls, and the latencies of individual
calls can easily add up since at the moment Jackrabbit doesn't perform
those calls in parallel.

2) RMI access. Are you using the RMI layer to access the repository?
RMI access performance is also highly sensitive to network latency and
there are some inherent design choises that make the RMI layer perfom
not that well.

3) Large search result sets. Are you using a query to access all the
company nodes? When you are simply iterating all nodes in a subtree
you get noticeably better performance if you simply traverse the tree
with Node.getNodes() instead of using a query. Query performance is
best when you are targetting a small subset of a large subtree or an
entire workspace.

BR,

Jukka Zitting