jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Content Categorization in Jackrabbit?
Date Sat, 09 Jun 2007 07:44:31 GMT

On 6/5/07, Estelle Carr <estellecarr@gmail.com> wrote:
> According to the JSR-170 request (http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=170#2):
> 'A content repository implements "content services" such as: author based
> versioning, full textual searching, fine grained access control, content
> categorization and content event monitoring.'
> Does anyone know if Jackrabbit supports content categorization, and if so,
> how is this achieved?

There are many different ways to categorize content. Common
approaches, all supported by Jackrabbit, are:

1) Use a multivalued string property for the categories. In this
approach you can attach any number of strings labels to a node.

    - my:categories (STRING) multiple

2) Use referenceable category nodes and have the categorized content
nodes reference the category nodes. This approach is similar to the
one above, but allows you to better control the available categories
and to express category metadata and hierarchies.

    [my:category] > mix:referenceable

    - my:categories (REFERENCE) multiple < my:category

3) Use mixin types for categorization. This is a slightly different
approach that allows you to express constraints like "all nodes in
category C should have properties X and Y".

    [category:C] mixin
    - X (STRING)
    - Y (STRING)

Jukka Zitting