jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [JCR Controller] First Release
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2007 12:59:04 GMT

On 6/1/07, Jacco van Weert <1111software@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/1/07, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 5/30/07, Jacco van Weert <1111software@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > On 5/30/07, Nicolas Dufour <nrdufour@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > > Are you releasing the source after ?
> > >
> > > Yes, when the version number hits 1.0, that's when I think most
> > > options are implemented it will be open-sourced.
> >
> > Have you already planned how (license, etc.) and where (hosting, etc.)
> > you would open the source? If you're interested I think the Jackrabbit
> > project would be happy to welcome JCR Controller as a subproject.
> A subproject of Jackrabbit would be great, if it's possible.

Sure. We really need more administrative tools and JCR Controller
would make a fine companion to Jackrabbit. And just like with some of
the other Jackrabbit components, the tool could still remain a generic
one that could be used also with other repository implementations.

The only question is how and when you would like to bring the code to
Jackrabbit. There are two main options:

1) You donate the codebase as a single contribution using a software
grant to give us the right to distribute and maintain the codebase. If
you then continue developing the code you will most likely soon be
given committer status so you don't need to send your changes as
patches. This option is most often used for codebases that don't have
an existing development community or where the author is happy to turn
over control over the codebase to the Apache project.

2) We can bring JCR Controller into the Apache Incubator
(http://incubator.apache.org/) to build more awareness of the
component and to better align the development process with the "Apache
Way" before graduating it into a Jackrabbit subproject. Incubation
would also help clear any licensing issues (like whether the LGPL
icons are a problem) in a controlled manner. This is probably the best
option if you plan to continue working actively on the codebase.

Of course there's also the option of starting a standalone project.
Whatever best floats your boat. :-) In any case I would like to
encourage you to release the source code already now or at an early
stage without waiting to make the tool feature-complete or "perfect".
As you can see from the comments on this thread, there are a number of
people who are very interested in the tool and I wouldn't be surprised
if you started receiving patches and other contributions soon after
the code is made available.


Jukka Zitting

View raw message