jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Dan Connelly <daniel.s.conne...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Importing and Exporting XML
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2007 10:16:02 GMT
woolly:

The term "DocumentView" is slightly misleading.    Its more like a
Shredded And Annotated Document View.

The xml document will get shredded into its constituent element nodes
when you import it as "DocumentView".   This import will not store a
single, coherent document in the Repository.    WebDav support in
Jackrabbit, on the other hand, can be used to store the document as
coherent text.     Customized, hybrid approaches are possible to support
structured content (partial shredding over WebDav).  It depends on your
use case how much (or how little) shredding you want.

The metadata gets added to raw shreds during DocumentView import to
indicate the Jackrabbit element node type structure.    By default, node
type will be nt:unstructured on raw nodes (not having metadata
already).   You can write a simple XSLT to strip out the metadata when
you export.   For import you can work this in reverse and add a custom
structure using XSLT (but that may not be simple).

It sounds like your use case (customized node editing) requires some
custom node types.   This can work nicely if the set of element tags is
limited and fixed.   Also, you probably also will need to add some
custom xml processing (dom, sax or xslt).

What xml editor are you using?   I think XML Spy has integration
features that would support partial shredding and customized document
views.   (But, I have never worked this.)

    -- Dan Connelly