jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Hendrik Beck \(camunda\)" <hendrik.b...@camunda.com>
Subject RE: Web Apps on Jackrabbit - best practices
Date Mon, 25 Jun 2007 08:26:37 GMT
Hi Nandana,

Some comments inside...

Shouldn't that rather mean "...that a technology used in the front end is
__NOT__ powerful enough..."? You could refer to JSF as a popular example for
that. Also, you can take this recent discussion into account:

http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@jackrabbit.apache.org/msg06212.html

And you say that "coders" will "also have to know about the JCR API". Think
about that they would only have to learn about JCR for being able to access
all kinds of data stored within a JCR. Not that I want to encourage this
approach in general, but imagine: if everybody would use this approach for
its front ends then the coders would only have to learn this one single API
to access all kinds of content stored within a JCR. It's actually one
advantage of a standardized API.

> Use business objects and delegate the persisting to jackrabbit-ocm
>
> Here we work with business objects and delegate the access to JCR content
> the jackrabbit-ocm framework. We can work with POJOs and jackrabbit-ocm
> will
> persist them on JCR repository. Anyway we have to pre-configure the
> mapping
> between data bjects and Nodes in a mapping file. This will easy for the
> application programmers and make application layer independent of
> persistence Layer.
>
> Wrap the nodes inside Wrapper classes
>
> This won't be a good option as it we can do the same in a much easier way
> using jackrabbit-ocm.

Uhm, I would say at least for use cases, where you need generic access to
the repository (i.e. where a business interface is NOT applicable) Wrappers
can still make it work.

So IMO there might be cases where it's a option. And at least it shouldn't
be compared like that with OCM, the intentions of both differ a little bit.
OCM provides persistence for (existing) business objects, the wrappers would
extend the functionality of the JCR API.

> you can find my projects wiki page regarding this
> here<http://code.google.com/p/jackrabbit-jcr-
> demo/wiki/AccesingContentFromFrontEnd>
> .
>
> Thanks,