jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Bob Wieler" <bob.wie...@gmail.com>
Subject Merge Problems
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2007 21:01:45 GMT
Hi,

I need some help implementing some functionality that utilizes the merge
capability of JCR/Jackrabbit. I have an application where users use their
own personal workspace to add referenceable nodes to a parent node and
commit the changes. At a later time (after making a number of these changes)
they can merge their own personal workspace with another workspace where all
of the changes from all of the users of the system will be contained.

The problem that I'm having right now is dealing with the conflicts that
could occur as a result of the merge operation. If two users edit the same
parent node and they both try to merge those changes, the second user will
(obviously) fail. If the change the second user made was to add a new child
node with a specific UUID (referenced elsewhere), I will need to manually
merge that change into the parent. Unfortunately when I create the new child
node, I'm not able to specify a UUID for that new child - a UUID that is
referenced elsewhere in the workspace.

How do other people deal with merging workspaces and dealing with conflicts?

I do know that there is an addNode method on NodeImpl that takes a UUID but
I was hoping to be able to do this without exposing Jackrabbit specific
functionality. I assume that the writers of the JCR specification thought of
how the merging would be done but I can't figure out an easy way of dealing
with it.

Thanks,

Bob