jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "David Nuescheler" <david.nuesche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Contribution to Repository
Date Mon, 07 May 2007 13:16:36 GMT
Hi Belinda,

thanks a lot for your mail.

> This is the short list or repositories so far:
> DSpace Federation, The Jakarta Project Slide, Eprints, Greenstone,
> Daisy, CDSware or CDS Invenio, Contineo , JackRabbit (without UI),
> Archimede,  jLibrary, Nuxeo 5,
> I think that the last three run on top of JackRabbit.
Yes, I think that's correct. I think the last three are generally built
on top of JCR as the standard API and therefore run on Jackrabbit.

> I am really looking forward to just picking one and working with it,
> as the information gathering is slow and not-necessarily accurate
> (due to my interpretation).
> Any advice that you want to offer will be appreciated.
Personally, I would recommend to stick with a fully JCR compliant
repository, since I believe that an open standard is most effective
at protecting your investment in both feature-extensions and UI
and more importantly in the content that you will store into the content
repository. You will be able at any point to export the entire JCR
repository into a standardized (xmlbased)-format, and import it again
into different JCR compliant repository.

If your repository is rather "File" and "Folder" centric I would probably
recommend to use something like Jackrabbits WebDAV layer in
combination with a JCR-based web application as the primary tool
for the end users.
In case you are looking at a more specific content model or usecases
and are looking for guidance around that, I would be more than
happy to help.

Personally, I believe that Jackrabbit provides that ideal platform to
build your own UI. So, if you are willing to invest a little bit of
development time I would recommend to use Jackrabbit and
maybe one of its compatible libraries. If you are looking for something
where you will not need to customize then I would recommend to
check if any of the above JCR-based applications suit your needs.

regards,
david