jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "David Nuescheler" <david.nuesche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Contribution to Repository
Date Thu, 03 May 2007 16:19:16 GMT
Hi Belinda,

thanks for your mail.

> I am in the process of evaluating 10 repository solutions for my project.
Very interesting.
Just out of curiosity, do you mind sharing which repositories you
are looking at?

> Contributor Side:
> 1.  Does JackRabbit support Dublin Core metadata?
> If yes, does it perform error checking on the input format - for
> example DATE format, IDENTIFIER - URL format, - ISBN format.  Does it
> have an enumerated list of choices for RESOURCE TYPE, FORMAT, ?
Jackrabbit is fully compliant with the JCR specification [1] and therefore
allows all sorts of validation ("constraints") in terms of formatting
out-of-the-box.
In addition to that Jackrabbit allows you easily to define your "nodetypes"
according to Dublin core. Off the top of my head I would probably recommend
to create a [dc:core] mixin nodetype that contains all core attributes of the
dublin core spec.

> 2.  Can I change the GUI to a) add functionality or error checking
> and b) to look personalized with CSS.
Jackrabbit itself focuses on providing the core repository services.
This means that you have all the freedom to build your own user
interface or use one of the many content management frameworks
that are built on top of jackrabbit.
Please find a selection here:
http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/JcrLinks

> 3.  What, if any, workflow is supported at the contributer
> stage?  Does JackRabbit support a submission approval process.
Since workflow is not considered a core function of the repository as
such, but is considered an application that is sitting on top of the content
repository, I would like to refer you to the list of applications
mentioned above. As specified in JCR Jackrabbit provides you
with all the basic tools to implement a submission workflow very easily
such as for example workspaces or an access control framework.

regards,
david

[1] http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=170