jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Alexandru Popescu ☀" <the.mindstorm.mailingl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question on creating RSS feeds
Date Wed, 16 May 2007 22:29:35 GMT
On 5/16/07, Stefan Kurla <stefan.kurla@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to create RSS feeds and email notifications for my
> project. I have seen it in action on infoQ (a site that I particularly
> like, before I learnt that it was built on jackrabbit).

Thanks for the nice words.

> There is the observation mechanism in Jackrabbit that consists of
> creating event listeners on node paths or the workspace in general and
> these event listeners are created on node add and other events.
>
> In my case, I expect people to want to listen to events raised on
> documents being added to the repository in general. Also, I expect
> users to want to be aware of changes being made to their subtrees.
> They could be notified by RSS or email. Now I have not worked on
> either observation or creating an RSS feed so this is kind of chicken
> and egg for me. Might be really obvious to someone else.
>
> I believe that if I have 100 users and each of them listen to 10
> different node paths each, I have a lot of listening for events going
> on. Would that adversly effect the repository in terms of performance
> and constant event processing. I guess is the approach of listening
> for events and processing events as they are raised the right way to
> go?
>
> Am looking for inputs and suggestions.

When building the feed support for InfoQ, I was thinking in terms of
pull vs push feeds. I am not sure if these terms are usually used in
conjunction with feeds, but what I mean is: is it possible to
pregenerate my feed so that once I get a request this is already
prepared (push model) or should I generate the feed each time I am
receiving a request (pull model). Having these questions answered,
I've been able to further implement things.

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.