jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Jon Walker" <jwal...@shokker.net>
Subject Repository locking with clustering
Date Mon, 07 May 2007 22:42:10 GMT
I have been playing around with Jackrabbit 1.3 trying to get a feeling for
the functionality as research for a project I'm working on. We are looking
to wrap the Jackrabbit functionality into webservices so we can provide
the repository functionality to multiple applications on multiple
servers, without using the (admittedly slow) RMI.  We
also want the webservices to be on redundant servers to prevent a single
point of failure.

I've been looking at the clustering feature that was added in, but am
having trouble with the locking.  I have 2 Model 1 deployments set up
using clustering (each with a unique ID).  Through shared drives, they are
accessing the same repository location (unique configurations for the
clustering) and I have SimpleDBPersistence to SQL Server for persistence.

On first access to each instance, the webservices attempt to start the
repository.  The first server to be hit will create a Repository instance
and create the .lock file in the repository's home directory.  When the
other server gets hit and attempts to start the repository, it throws an
exception saying "The repository home at [path] appears to be in use since
the file at [path]/.lock is locked by another process."

Is what I'm trying to do possible?  Do I have something wrong in my
configuration that I need to check?

Thanks for your help,

Jon