jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Stefan Kurla" <stefan.ku...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question on creating RSS feeds
Date Thu, 17 May 2007 19:29:25 GMT

> > When building the feed support for InfoQ, I was thinking in terms of
> > pull vs push feeds. I am not sure if these terms are usually used in
> > conjunction with feeds, but what I mean is: is it possible to
> > pregenerate my feed so that once I get a request this is already
> > prepared (push model) or should I generate the feed each time I am
> > receiving a request (pull model). Having these questions answered,
> > I've been able to further implement things.

AP=> What model did you choose?

> I'm planning also this feature for our application. Actually I have not
> decided how to implement it, but I think the RSS will be generated on
> each request because not all users have access to all the documents (Out
> application is an document manager).

That is the problem that i am facing as well. my feeds are going to be
very personalized, one could be looking for events at
/jcr:root/myFolder for changes the other could look at
/jcr:root/myFolder2 for changes. If this were the case then I would
have 2 event listeners then.. for 1000 such cases, there would 1000
event listeners. This would be the push model, where as the data is
published the RSS xml is created or an email is sent out as a
notification.

That seems to be the model that i am looking for since we have to
inform the user of the changes in the repository.

Any suggestions?