jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Belinda Randolph <belinda.a.rando...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject JackRabbit Search Engine Questions
Date Wed, 02 May 2007 20:42:23 GMT
I am in the process of evaluating 10 repository solutions for my project.

I have several questions to ask in order to make my decisions.

1.  Can I replace the JackRabbit search engine with my own?
2.  Does your search engine look through actual document contents -
as a background process or at the time of the actual user search?
3.  What FORMATs of actual documents does your search engine look
at?  (Ascii, Microsoft, PDF, etc.)
4.  When searching the contents of a PDF file, does the background
process, using OCR, create an additional file in another format? What format?
5.  Does your OCR routine search FORMATS other than PDF? If yes, what
formats can the OCR search?
6.  What are the resolution requirements for your OCR routines?
7.  Can I change the GUI to a) add functionality or error checking
and b) to look personalized with CSS?
8.  Can the search engine search using both requested metadata
element values and keywords from the document contents?
9.  Can I start with keywords from the document contents and then
later filter the results using user inputted metadata element values?
10.  Can I start with user input metadata element values and then
later filter down the results with document contents?
11.  After an initial search, can I refine my search by only looking
at the results of the previous search?

Thanks,
Belinda