jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: First Hops?
Date Thu, 24 May 2007 11:23:31 GMT
Hi,

On 5/24/07, Porter Woodward <pwoodward@practicable.net> wrote:
> I'm considering some first hops with Jackrabbit and am slightly stymied.
>
> http://jackrabbit.apache.org/doc/firststeps.html
>
> Still references Jackrabbit 1.0 - and the project is onto release 1.3;
> it also references several dependencies - and the downloads page is no
> longer clear as to which jar files would be required to get a basic
> repository application up and running.

I'm sorry for that, I really should update that page... Can you please
file an improvement request in Jira for that?

> Just curious if any one has a quick guide as to what needs to be downloaded
> and put onto the class path in order to fire up a little test project.

If you're using Maven, then just adding jackrabbit-core as a
dependency will do the trick. Otherwise the easiest solution is to
download the jackrabbit-webapp war file and take all the jars from the
contained WEB-INF/lib folder.

> Obviously, Jackrabbit is an implementation of the JCR API.  Other than a
> classic content repository, has any thought been given to alternative
> uses of the API?  Say one was to use it to back an email client?  Would
> it be appropriate, and have acceptable performance characteristics for
> those of us who never delete anything that isn't spam?  What about using
> it to store a persistent, but dynamic game world?  Would it work for a
> single player on a local system?  What about for multiple players on a
> shared system?

There's increasing interest in using Jackrabbit and JCR in a wide
variety of domains. For example I'm currently working with the Apache
James project to create a JCR-based email store and with the
incubating Lokahi project to store configuration information in a
content repository.

> Inquiring minds want to know.  Other than the classic Plone / Magnolia
> Content Repository type applications - how applicable is the JCR API
> (and thence Jackrabbit) to other sorts of domains?

The content repository concept is generic enough to apply to almost
any domains, just like relational databases. So far the main focus has
been on applications like content and document management, and
probably the performance and other operational requirements are best
met for such domains, but there is much interest in widening our scope
to support all sorts of applications and domains.

BR,

Jukka Zitting