jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JNDI and BundleDbPersistenceManager
Date Thu, 24 May 2007 10:56:54 GMT
Hi,

On 5/24/07, Shaun Barriball <sbarriba@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Am I correct to conclude - BundleDbPersistenceManagers are the recommended
> configuration for Jackrabbit?

Yes. Bundle persistence is not yet (as of Jackrabbit 1.3) the default
configuration, mostly because we didn't have time to document it or
create tools for migrating from previous persistence managers, but if
you're starting a new repository then I would recommend using bundle
persistence.

> JNDI is not really recommended from a performance perspective even though
> JNDI has the significant benefit of externalising the connection properties
> to the application server.

A JNDI configuration does not really affect performance in any
significant way, but we tend to avoid such configurations since
Jackrabbit doesn't really work like a typical JNDI DataSource client
would. Instead of using a DataSource reference and acquiring a
separate connection for each individual operation, the Jackrabbit
database components typically use a single Connection for the entire
lifetime of the repository. This doesn't work too well with connection
pooling and other similar solutions people tend to associate with JNDI
data sources.

But if you just want to use JNDI to externalize the database
configuration and understand the above-mentioned Jackrabbit usage
pattern, then there is no downside to using JNDI.

BR,

Jukka Zitting