jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Patrick Haggood <codezi...@email.com>
Subject Re: OverlappingFileLockException using DerbyPersistenceManager
Date Thu, 10 May 2007 18:49:49 GMT
Any movement on this (apparently Linux-only) issue?  Checking a Sun
blogger I found the following note about 1.6 on Linux (and Sun) which
suggests that this behavior is what's SUPPOSED to happen, and not
blowing up on Windows is actually a mistake.

http://blogs.sun.com/DaveB/date/200612

"Multiple locks on the same file

What does this code do?
public class FileLock {
        public static void main(String[] args) throws Throwable {
            new FileOutputStream("foo").getChannel().lock();
            new FileOutputStream("foo").getChannel().lock();
        }
    }
Prior to Java SE 6, this code would deadlock on Microsoft Windows, and
return two locks on Linux and Solaris. Now, on all of those platforms,
the second lock attempt throws an OverlappingFileLockException, as
should have been the case all along since the behavior of lock() is
specified that way."