jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "spencer.c" <spencer.criss...@gmail.com>
Subject Jackrabbit New User Qs about Capabilities/Practices
Date Tue, 15 May 2007 14:51:42 GMT

Hello, I'm evaluating Jackrabbit as a possible fit for an application I will
be implementing soon.  I have a few questions, as this is the first time
I've made use of a JCR.

1)  Are JCRs typically used as the sole persistence mechanism in an
application, or used along side a traditional DBMS?  The primary feature in
my application manages files and as such seems like a good match for the JCR
format, which will handle much of the heavy lifting for me.  On the other
hand, trying to store some of the information in the JCR just doesn't seem
to fit right, like logging events or storing workflow information.  I guess
my question boils down to, do I feel this way because I'm still unfamiliar
with using a JCR, or is it a legitimate feeling and I should plan on using
another DBMS in addition to Jackrabbit for managing the info?

2)  I have had a hard time finding realistic permission examples for
Jackrabbit.  The examples I have found demo how to use simple credentials
and log in, but I need to handle things like per directory permissions for
users and groups.  Is there some documentation that would help speed up my
learning curve?  Specifically dealing with per directory permissions and
permissions that change during the lifecycle of a file for groups of users.

Thanks for any insight you can offer on either of the above (or anything
else a new user ought to look out for, I suppose!).

 - swc