jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Shaun Barriball" <sbarr...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject RE: Architectural question (CM application)
Date Thu, 31 May 2007 09:50:06 GMT
Hi Luca,
 - Your concept of 'sub-area' could be mapped to distinct repository,
workspace or folder within a workspace. You have some flexibility here.
 - However, as you noted your custom type definitions requirement is harder
to solve. If the types 'must' have the same name then you'll need to use a
repository per customer. However, namespaces were invented for actually this
scenario. What about scoping types using a customer specific namespace
within the same repository e.g. assuming you have a logical employee type.
Customer "foo" may us a foo:employee type and customer "bar" has a
bar:employee type.

 - Personally, I'd think a repository per customer would cause you quite a
few infrastructure and configuration headaches.

Hope this helps,
Shaun.

-----Original Message-----
From: Luca Tagliani [mailto:l.tagliani@prismaeng.it]
Sent: 31 May 2007 10:30
To: users@jackrabbit.apache.org
Subject: Architectural question (CM application)

Hi all,
	my company is working on a document management system which has the
following scenario:

- one web application must service different customers from a single
installation and URL (aka Application Service Provider);
- each customer must have different (and separate) users;
- each customer is divided into sub-area; each sub-area can have different
definition of the same nodetype

I thought to model this using a repository for the application and workspace
for every customer, but there are limitation that doesn't permit this
implementation.

First of all, the nodetype definitions are shared between the workspaces of
a repository.
Second, I cannot divide a workspace in other sub-worspaces.

So I change my vision to using different repository for each customer, and a
workspace for each sub-area.
But this doesn't resolve the problem of having have different definition of
the same type of nodetype for each sub-area.
Adding to this it leds me to a second type of problem: I have to define a
common entry for the users of the different customers who then will be
directed towards his correct repository.

I'm stuck in this position.

Could anyone help me with his suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Luca Tagliani