jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "David Nuescheler" <david.nuesche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Node structure design question
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2007 12:31:42 GMT
Hi Phillip,

I think Marcel's response covers your request.

In my experience it has very rarely proven to been good advice to
organize content
in trees on a "by-type" basis. I think this is a very common mistake that we
all make intuitively from working with RDBMS for years.

Instead of something like...

/html/project1.html
/html/project2.html
/binary/project1.pdf
/images/project2.jpg

... i would recommend something like ...

/project1/index.html
/project1/mypdf.pdf
/project2/index.html
/project2/myphoto.jpg

This looks arbitrary at first, but I think it is one of the most
important aspects of a meaningful "Content Architecture" to leverage
the hierarchical aspects properly.
A number of the "Content Services" like Versioning, Locking and most
importantly Access Control use the hierarchy for inheritance.

In my experience it is good advice to think along the lines of access
control when structuring your content.
Lack of a better description:
"Stuff that belongs together from an access control perspective should
probably be stored 'together' in the content repository."

regards,
david