jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Alan R <arof+nab...@messagio.com>
Subject Re: importing XML file performance
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2007 10:36:39 GMT

Hi.  I'm using Jackrabbit 1.2.2 (JNDIPersistenceManager on MySQL, external
blobs), and I'm finding the importXML() call very, very slow.  I've tried
calling it both on the session and on the workspace and don't notice much
difference.  Where the export takes seconds, the import takes minutes.  My
average file size will be just under 20 MB (consisting of on the order of 20
blobs and 60 nodes per file), and there could be tens or even hundreds of
these to import in the case of a system restoration from backup.  I can
afford 20 minutes to restore the system, but not 20 hours.

Currently I've tried it with a single 17MB file, and workspace.importXML()
takes 8 and a half minutes.  It was the same for session.importXML().

Are there any performance enhancements underway?  This seems like a really
important feature to speed up, because any time I need to migrate data,
recover from a disk failure or change fundamental jackrabbit configuration,
I will need to import exported data, including blobs.

Is there something flawed in my backup/restoration strategy?

Thanks.
-Alan