jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Stefan Guggisberg" <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Configure mixin type for nt:file at creation of repository
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2007 08:20:45 GMT
hi bob,

On 4/4/07, Bob Johnson <johnson@bpinnovators.com> wrote:

> Tobias,
>
> Clearly you are the expert here. However, the example given in section 7.4.4
> of (jsr-170-1.0.pdf) seems to contradict your interpretation. If I
> understand it correctly it, the example refers to convenience mechanism in a
> fully complaint repository. Specifically, an nt:file node is not required to
> implement mix:versionable by default:

generally in the spec sentences like "A repository may do something..." are
used to accommodate legacy-based JCR implementations. there are existing
legacy repositories that only support versionable files. while the built-in
nt:file type doesn't mandate this the said phrase was added in order to
allow implementations to transparently add e.g. mix:versionable.

> ----------------- Section 7.4.4. of jsr-170-1.0.pdf -----------
> For example if, as a matter of configuration, all  nt:file
> nodes in a repository are to be versionable, then the repository
> may automatically assign the mixin type mix:versionable to each
> such node as it is created.
>
> I accept the fact that the functionality is not currently available. I am
> hoping that a review of the motivation for excluding it may lead to an
> implementation of this handy feature. Further, I would push for more

please note that we didn't consider this a 'feature' which a jsr-170 compliant
repository must support, it's rather a backdoor for legacy systems.

however, if you think having this sort of functionality in jackrabbit would
be useful please feel free to file a feature request in jira.

btw: the use case mentioned in the first post (automatically adding
mix:versionable to nt:file nodes on creation) can be elegantly covered by
creating a new type which extends from both nt:file and mix:versionable,
e.g.

[foo:file] > nt:file mix:versionable

cheers
stefan