jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Stefan Kurla" <stefan.ku...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: importing jackrabbit into jackrabbit
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2007 19:07:13 GMT
Hi,

> On 4/26/07, Stefan Kurla <stefan.kurla@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I would appreciate the thoughts on references though. Reason being
> > that one of the biggest strengths of JSR-170 is the ability to store
> > references. I imagine a situation where i could have a nodetype call
> > docType which is either pdf or word strings. Say 80% of my documents
> > are word documents. Then the docType will have a reference to 80% of
> > all documents in my repository. If my repository is 100,000 files then
> > docType references 80,000 nodes.
> >
> > If what you say is correct that at every new reference, the complete
> > set of references are rewritten, then obviously this is a bottleneck.
> >
> > Should such a situation be avoided?
>
> Why would you need to use such references structure? I would rather
> use the node types to model such information. A search query like
> //element(*,my:wordDocument) will efficiently return you all such Word
> documents in your workspace.

Maybe not in that specific case, for example what about the situation
where you need to control access to all the my:document nodetypes. And
say a superuser needs to be granted access to all documents in the
repository (1M documents) then this instance of my:user security
property could have 1M UUIDs in the reference structure.

Should this situation be avoided?