jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Phillip Rhodes <spamsu...@rhoderunner.com>
Subject Node structure design question
Date Mon, 16 Apr 2007 22:40:48 GMT
Hi everyone,

I have an application (http://stitches.authsum.com) that is storing objects of different types
into jackrabbit.

For example,  I have the following types of objects:  ImageGallery, ImageContent, BinaryContent,
HtmlContent, TextileContent

Currently, my tree is in the format of:
//Root/Object Type/Object name

Example Data:
/Root/ImageGallery/Fun in the sun
/Root/ImageGallery/Who knows
/Root/ImageContent/Sun.jpg
/Root/ImageContent/horse.gif
/Root/BinaryContent/horse.pdf
/Root/BinaryContent/people.pdf
/Root/HtmlContent/horse.html
/Root/HtmlContent/people.html
/Root/TextileContent/horse.html
/Root/TextileContent/people.html

My question in all this is that I need to implement a "findContentByName" method that will
return the Node given by object name of the node.  While I could do an xpath query to find
a Node by this name, I am concerned about performance with this type of xpath query.

1) Is the xpath query translated to a lucene query behind the scenes?
2) Would you recommend a different structure to store my content?  Should I make a wide flat
structure of all my content and store the type as an attribute?  I read that it is better
to do deep structures (rather than wide), but is this the best design?

I appreciate your advice on this.

Phillip