jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Phillip Rhodes <spamsu...@rhoderunner.com>
Subject SimpleDBPersistenceManager file cache?
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2007 14:20:52 GMT
hi everyone,
Sorry for the basic question...

Because applications on multiple machines need to be able to grab jackrabbit stored content
from the repository, I am using the SimpleDBPersistenceManager, with externalBLOBs set to
false.  I realize that if I set externalBlobs to true, the blobs will be stored on the filesystem,
but this makes the content "sticky", that is, accessible by only the machine that has it on
the filesystem.

My question is:  Do I need to implement my own file caching for my application?  For example,
if my application repeatedly retrieves a binary file from the jackrabbit repository, does
jackrabbit cache the retrieved binary file on the filesystem for subsequent requests, or is
each request cause the same blob to be read from the db?

No problem either way, I just need to know, since I have 20,000 users with each user having
their own collection of images on a very high traffic site.

Thank you everyone for all your help.  It's been great.

Phillip